Friday, January 16, 2009

Tom Hanks Comments on Prop 8, Misrepresents Mormons

Tom Hanks Comments on Prop 8, Misrepresents Mormons
Though my mind yearns to slice through Hanks’ lame Prop 8 commentary, fraught with inaccuracies and gross misrepresentations of the Mormon Church, I haven’t the time.  Instead, I paste here a keen response from Support the Traditional Family.  My own feelings, in a nutshell, are those of disgust at Hollywood’s unprecedented abandonment of truth for popularity…not to mention the media’s eagerness to print and reprint these sensational fallacies.

It’s so un-American
by Emissary

I recently read the following quote from Tom Hanks about Prop. 8.

“...the truth is a lot of Mormons gave a lot of money to the church to make Prop-8 happen,” he told Tarts. “There are a lot of people who feel that is un-American, and I am one of them. I do not like to see any discrimination codified on any piece of paper, any of the 50 states in America, but here's what happens now. A little bit of light can be shed, and people can see who's responsible, and that can motivate the next go around of our self correcting Constitution, and hopefully we can move forward instead of backwards. So let's have faith in not only the American, but Californian, constitutional process.”

Besides being wrong about his basic premise (Mormons actually gave money to protectmarriage.com, not their church), I thought it was interesting that he thought giving money for Prop. 8, and the fact that it passed, was un-American.

I actually have faith in the constitutional process -- that's why Californians decided to amend it. It's sneaking off to the court system when they don't like the amendment that irks me.

Anyway, so I was thinking about other things that are "un-American" (according to many "progressives"), and I thought others might have some ideas too. Here are 10 that I came up with.

It is un-American…

[Click here to read today’s top 10 un-American fables]

Thanks for a great write-up, Emissary.

Yours in Truth and Unpopularity,
~Pearl

Related Articles:
Tom Hanks| Prop 8 Big Hate, Big Ignorance
Tom Hanks labels Mormon Prop 8 supporters un-American
Tom Hanks’ Bigoted Tirade Against Mormons

4 comments:

Euripides said...

Some people will believe anything they hear. Even Tom Hanks.

Anonymous said...

emissary is so great. thanks for re-posting

Anonymous said...

I love your writing. You're great! I just wanted to say hi! It looks like we will be adding Mr. Hanks to the list of hollywood actors in movies that we will not be seeing. Fine by me! I can't believe how ignorant his statement was. I can't believe that hollywood really thinks that these types of antics are a good idea.

beetlebabee said...

I don't give a lot of credence to actors' opinions above other people's opinions, but good grief!

How am I supposed to watch his movies without getting over the "oh, it's HIM" thoughts?

Good thing I don't watch many movies...I'm still getting over Barbara Streisand's mouthy tirades from the first Bush administration.