Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I LOVE this. It is so accurate.

california_vote_stomped

Democracy got stomped on.  Squashed.  Ignored.  Disregarded.

 

I also find this comment from The Rainbow Reclaimed to be very telling:

This comment is in reference to SR 7, so the sister resolution to HR 5

I just called leno's office to make sure he was the author of sr 7. He is.

I couldn't help asking the staffer: Why does senator Leno think prop 8 violates the equal protection clause?

She mumbled off some answer.

I said: "The prop 8 definition covers everyone regardless of sexual
orientation, race, gender, etc.

Then I asked: How come siblings can't get married, but it's okay for
same gender couples?

She laughed.

I said: Really, why don't we let siblings get married?

She said: Well, I think it's unhealthy.

I asked: Why?
Then I started to explain, that measures could be taken to prevent the
birth of children with birth defects.

Then she went on a rant. And then she hung up.

I plan on telling my own reps this story, and asking them to ask Leno and other Dems why this resolution is even taking up CA legislature time.

If you'd like to ask Senator Leno the same question (or different):
916-651-4003

Well, go to it, people.  Let’s take our “representatives” to task.

~Pearl

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this!!! These people are like deer in the headlights and they don't have a clue. Just more workers being paid with our tax dollars do to absolutely nothing. Besides these staffers being ignorant, and just plain wrong, it's not good customer service to hang up on callers.

Anonymous said...

Great conversation Pearl. It really is an unanswerable question.

How does it hurt you if same sex couples get married to each other? How does it hurt you if brother and sister get married? Or a 10 year old girl and 45 year old man? All of a sudden the idea of marraige becomes twisted and unhealthy. Do you want to live next door to a 10 year old bride or siblings who have married?

If same sex couples have the right to marry then so does every other strange combination.