Friday, October 10, 2008

Get Involved. Be Heard.

So, today I realized that while I've talked a lot about how I feel about Prop. 8, I've done little to encourage others to join their voices with mine in support of this amendment. I've received a few messages now via e-mail and phone about people outside the state of California getting involved in this issue. My aunt in Idaho is joining others, armed with calling cards and loads of information, to make phone calls to California residences and urge support of Proposition 8. I've heard the same from people in Colorado. I think citizens throughout the U.S. are recognizing that the outcomes of the three propositions regarding same-sex marriage in California, Arizona, and Florida, will have national repercussions. Sad things are already happening in Massachusetts where same-sex marriage has been legalized: religious liberties are being challenged and overrun and parental rights have been disregarded, denied, and steam-rolled in a most outrageous manner.

I remember well all the buzz about California Proposition 22 back in 2000, when this very same issue (with the very same 14 words as on Prop 8) was being avidly promoted as well as vehemently opposed. I also remember thinking at the time, "Boy, I'm glad I don't have to fight to protect marriage here in Utah. I hope those Californians really get out there and take the time, make the sacrifice, offer their services and money in order to pass Proposition 22 and preserve marriage as a union between a man and a woman." I didn't realize that my voice, even while in Utah, could make a difference. And so can yours...wherever you are. The truth is, we tech savvy young'uns are the future of tomorrow and we have been blessed with an incredible tool for spreading the word and uniting together in a common cause. If you have a blog, add a widget that says you support Prop. 8 - and Prop 102 (AZ) and Marriage Amendment 2 (FL) - and include some informative links in your sidebar, and post your thoughts and feelings about this issue. If you "Facebook," join the Prop 8, and 102, and 2 support groups and invite your friends to do the same (I haven't figured out how to invite people yet, so if you know, please share). If you Twitter, write down your thoughts about these protect-marriage propositions. As we were admonished by leaders of the LDS Church a couple of nights ago, just do whatever you can. Find your strength and use it to help protect marriage as a union between a man and a woman. Whether you squeak or roar, let yourself be heard. If you have $10 you can spare, send it over to the people at protectmarriage.com and know that you made a t-shirt or a sign or a pin/sticker in defense of marriage. If you spend a lot of time at home, ask about making phone calls to California, Arizona, and Florida residents to impart information and encourage a "yes" vote. Put a sticker on your car, stroller, window, golf bag, backpack, etc. Cast aside your usual accessories and instead sport a "Protect Marriage" or "Yes on Prop 8" button with your cute outfits until November 4th. There are so, so many ways to contribute to this. It's not just about walking door to door distributing information and fliers. It's about saying, "This is what I believe, this is where I stand, and this is what I support." I know who and what has lit the fire under me, and I've got plenty to go around, so think of me as your personal fire and get hopping! I'll see you on the other side of November 4th and pray that the outcome of all our combined effort is a positive one.

0 comments: